Visions for the Olney Town Center – make your voice heard……
The Olney Town Center has long been more than just the intersection of two State highways. But, with the approval of the 2005 Olney Master Plan, the community and the County’s planners focused their attention on the future of our town center and how to further the goal of this and past master plans to make it a focal point for the greater Olney community.
A zone was created to further that goal and a committee comprised of members from all facets of the community was created to help shape future town center development.
The OTCAC (Olney Town Center Advisory Committee), comprised of members affiliated with civic organizations, homeowners associations, County government or social service agencies or organizations, business groups and property owners in Olney, is chartered by the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission to create a common community-based vision of what the future town center could look like and how it might function in relation to the surrounding neighborhoods.
To do that the OTCAC is charged with:
- Creating an Illustrative Concept
- Creating a concept for a civic center/town commons, and
- Reviewing development proposals for parcels within the town center before they are presented to the Montgomery County Planning Board
- Facilitating communication among land owners within Olney town center
- Developing recommendations for capital improvement projects
- Providing input to the redevelopment process in adjacent neighborhoods
The OTCAC wants to hear from you, so check this website often for information about our meetings; reaching the Committee members; downloading a feedback form;seeing background information about plans, design elements, proposals, and more that the Committee is looking at, future public meetings, the draft Illustrative Concept & Development Guidelines, and other proposed recommendations that the Committee is preparing.
- The OTCAC sought Community Input on Proposed Design Guidelines. At the January meetinh, the committee will vote to approve the document so that it can be presented to the Montgomery County Planning Board.
- The Design Guidelines document focuses on proposed, future development in the Olney Town Center. The Guidelines emphasize mixed-use development according to zoning changes outlined in the 2005 Olney Master Plan.
- Between August 2011, and October 2012, the OTCAC solicited comments on the draft Design Guidelines for the town center, beginning with an exhibition at National Night Out on Aug. 2, 2011, and culminating at Community Night on October 3, 2012. During the summer of 2012, the document was presented at Board Meetings of homeowners’ associations and condominiums that border the town center.
- 2013 Meeting Schedule
- The OTCAC continues to meet at 7:30 PM on the fourth Tuesday of the odd-numbered months, except where noted, in the Olney Community Room of the Buffington RE/MAX Realty Center.
- Everyone is encouraged to attend – residents, business owners and operators, non-profit and residential organizations…anyone interested in how the Town Center grows….
January 22 April 2 May 28 July 30 September 24 November 26
- As of July 2012, Helene Rosenheim replaced Bob Beard as the OTCAC Chair, and Lydia Rappolt replaced Helene as the Vice Chair.
- As of July 2011, Audrey Partington replaced Jim Haddow as Secretary of the OTCAC.